Saturday, July 18, 2009

Cronkiters!

I'm sitting here at a Panera, doing a little research on the "The Most Trusted Man in America", and I see across from me a couple, probably in their late twenties, playing like children with what appears to be these. What has this world come to?

Anywho...

Did you know that there was a period of time in Sweden where anchormen were referred to as "Cronkiters"? I had no idea that Walter Cronkite was such an iconic and beloved character in America. Shows my age, I guess. Here is an interesting video clip of Walter Cronkite celebrating a giant leap for mankind. Also, if you're one of those science kids, here is a pretty cool website celebrating the recent 40th Anniversary of the historic Apollo 11 landing on the moon.

Now, I am going to ask a question that may spark a debate. But, I do ask this in the most respectful way possible. Who had a bigger impact on America: Walter Cronkite or Michael Jackson?

Love,
Sam

2 comments:

  1. I don't really think you can compare the two. Michael Jackson had a huge impact on music - worldwide. Walter Cronkite had a huge impact on broadcast journalism - in the US and apparently Sweden. (Oh, those Swedish people - always thought they were a little strange - j/k - I love Swedish people...they brought us the author Martha Sandwell-Bergstroem and Ikea. But I'm getting sidetracked...)

    I guess for me your questions brings up a ton of other questions...
    What has a bigger impact on society: music or journalism?
    How do we measure the impact a person has?

    ReplyDelete